Saturday, August 08, 2009

I Have Eyes, Therefore I See

Seeing is believing. Yet you shouldn't believe everything you see. Crazy people know that all too well. Yet - and here comes the super-awkward segway - I see things everywhere (see, that no make the sense, yes? Anywho). And now I've decided to share these fascinations with you, again.

I love the internet, I do. When at work, I have fun in the non-work parts (anytime the phone doesn't ring, which actually happens at times) and explore all the newness happening everyday (on what my buddy Mike would call 'the interwebs,' haha..) I kid. But all joking aside; check out TechCrunch once in a while. If you love gadgets and Twitter and general Google Magic, I think you'll love that site.

That was the recommendation of the day. Check.

A place I make tons of observations, is at the gym (what else is there to do there, right?). In the US I usually work out at the local Y, where all kinds of people frequent that StairMasters and treadmills. At the Y, the common midsection (pun, get it?) of the population works out, resulting in at least my own feeling of adequacy compared to most of the grandmas, men in their midlife crises, and generally the low-on-funds obese hipsters (no stereotypes, of course). I can show up in sweats and a t-shirt, drink my water from a recycled Diet Pepsi bottle with the label torn off, and put in the miles needed for self-respect and shallow goals. People are nice, with the exception of the weight room guys grunting away and refusing to move their towels from equipment they're not using, and of course a random personal trainer or whatnot being too full of themselves. The rooms are worn down and smell faintly of old basements, but you get your squats and curls done and go home. Good enough, in other words.

My new gym is the exact opposite, and the words 'premium' and 'high-end' are used everywhere (so is the price, by the way, and the $110 a month really cuts into more than the body fat). You enter the gym, and you're greeted by former or current blond model babes of the fitness world - the kind that look like they're posing for a glam shot on the cover of Women's Health when swiping your membership card. The showers aren't showers, they're raaaaain showers (*sigh*). The changing rooms are, though, equipped with 3 different kinds of unisex saunas (can you name more than two kinds?) and a cold spring for cooling down inbetween the included pampering. The gym itself is no worse, sporting at least 4 machines in 3 different brands (ranging from fully assisted to the bar bell/weight plate type machines). Parading around in the various rooms are so-called "Motivators," whose only job is to get you re-energized and pumped for a workout, and of course the Adonis-like personal trainers who are there just to make the guys feel worse about themselves than they already do. The many classes range from fancy Yoga Karaguladingdongwhatnot to cycling/bike classes, except the latter is spelled "Xycling" and obviously the coolest class to take.

I do appreciate my new female personal trainer, though, who really seems dedicated to my fitness and achievement of my goals (plus, obviously, she ain't an uggo). My new diet, derived mostly from the incredible wealth of knowledge found in Men's Health, includes mostly veggies and tuna, whole grain pasta and fruit, and of course the daily 5 cups of coffee to handle work without ADD meds (yay). I am shaping up, though, and the definition of my muscles and midsection (I think I might see a 2-pack or a 4-pack down there somewhere, lol) is growing more apparent every time I work out. I even take my vitamins and so on, as we all like faster recuperation after an intense run/lift/whatever combo.

My best bud Mike's making his way to Viking Land in 2 weeks (more like 13 days, I'm counting), and I couldn't be more excited. The schedule, though secret until the time at which it will be executed (sounds more like a military mission, doesn't it?), is rigorous at best, and includes so much fun stuff I really can't wait. Really - I can't wait.. I'm gonna petition the Powers of Time for a slight fast forwarding of the next 2 weeks to get to the good part of this summer.

In other news, my job at One Call (cell phone company - the customer service section) has me calling myself 'Customer Care Consultant' while answering people's random and incredibly retarded phone calls. My immediate supervisor's favorite website is, not surprisingly, NotAlwaysRight.com, where all the smart stuff this breed called customers tend to say is shown off. Really hilarious, true-to-life stuff. Oh, and for my specific job, telling people what's wrong with their phone even though they could've figured it out themselves, this Flash animation should have been sent to all of them (and can be used with any random question).

That actually concludes my shift at work this great Saturday (I get paid double for working 10-2 on Saturdays, yay! That means double my hourly $23, haha) - which goes to show how much I had to do today.

Stay cool. Stay warm. Till next time.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home