Friday, May 21, 2004

Vehicle Schmehicle

Oh, I'm irritated. No, I'm not really irritated, just... perturbed by people's pertinaciousness. Yes, people have the right to think what they want, feel what they want, often times even do what they want, but heck: Some people walk around with their own apprehensions of things and refuse to adapt (or even consider) other views, and that does perturb me.

One example (but I encounter these every day) is a conversation between John and me yesterday. I claimed that a trailer (one that is pulled behind a truck) is itself a type of vehicle. He, persistent and pigheaded as many times before, claimed that since the trailer doesn't actually have a motor and therefore cannot move by itself, the trailer isn't a vehicle. But; let's look at this, from dictionary.com:

Vehicle:
1. A device or structure for transporting persons or things; a conveyance: a space vehicle.

2. A self-propelled conveyance that runs on tires; a motor vehicle.

3. A medium through which something is transmitted, expressed, or accomplished.

4. A play, role, or piece of music used to display the special talents of one performer or company.

5. A substance of no therapeutic value used to convey an active medicine for administration.

6. A substance, such as oil, in which paint pigments are mixed for application.

As I claimed, trailer = vehicle. End of discussion. Of course, I'm for some reason not always taken seriously even though I have the right answer a lot of times, and that does perturb me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home