Monday, September 19, 2005

Because I'm Worth It

Oh, come on! I don't have to write ingenious titles every time.
Anyways, today has probably been my least productive day since starting college, which probably doesn't tell you a lot. I'm usually a hard worker ("You over-zealous son-of-a-bitch", quote: "Hitch"), but today has been a huge exception to the rule. I woke up from Victor's knocking on my door at 9:15 am, which BTW indicated that I had overslept and had missed my breakfast appointment... I got dressed, while Victor waited in the dorm computer lab, and then I grabbed the Doritos, coke, seedless grapes, and the two newly rented (soon to be bought) DVDs, and headed over to East Hall, where we wouldn't disturb anybody. We put the DVDs in the player, made ourselves comfortable, and had thus kicked off our "Lost"-marathon. We sat mindlessly gaping at the screen for 3 hours, just to walk out of the building afterwards, intending to study, then changing our minds and walking back to the TV room and watching another episode. After concluding episodes 1-3 (that is, 1-4 counting the pilot as the two parts it's divided into), we went to lunch, and went to study.

I sat down on the computer in my own dorm, intending (truly intending, make no mistake) to study, but I guess the mind is weaker than itself sometimes. In five consecutive hours, I managed to write in this blog, read some of Julie's (see sidebar), print 4 articles relating to something from chem class (an assignment), and listening to music while doing it all. I AM surely productive. After this exhausting journey into homework land (or slacker land, depending on what your definition of work is), I went to dinner around 6:30pm, with Victor. We then went back to study (study? STUDY?! I am a disgrace to myself.), or as I'd call it, slowly move myself toward finishing my chem paper (which I, BTW, never did, because I'm a lazy procrastinator). I love Sundays, they're the best. Or worst, with respect to all the things I should have done. Anyways, let me tell you about my eventful Saturday.

I woke up at about 1pm, and outside the rain was coming down heavily. Nice. More sleep. After dozing off for a while, I dragged myself to the dining hall, where I ran into Victor. He proposed that we got moving on that "Lost"-marathon pretty soon, since season 2 starts on Friday, and I agreed. We went down to Hollywood Movies (who charge an arm and a leg, by the way) and rented episodes 1-8 on DVD, as well as to Hy-Vee to get the coke and snacks and all that. Then Kari called (American with Norwegian name. Hmm.), and we ended up driving to Canton (30 mi. south of here), to the Newton State Park to go hiking with her friend Peter from... Tanzania? Anyways, my shoes are holy nowadays (not bend-down-and-kiss-them holy, they have holes in them), so I got like two pounds of mud in my shoes from walking that day (note to self: wash shoes). We then drove out to a lake nearby, where Kari decided to go swimming. Great idea in and of itself, but combined with wanting dry clothes afterwards, it wasn't that clever.

She somehow managed to lock her carkeys in the trunk with her clothes, and thus we were stuck for two hours. Trying to rip out the back seats to get to the keys. Out in the middle of nowhere. Victor and I walked all the way back to the park ranger station, to ask for someone who could break open the car and to have Domino's pizza delivered out the heck in honky-tonk land. After having a long, but not very productive, conversation with the ranger on call, Kari and Peter came driving. Finally. We drove off to Sioux Falls, where we hung out with Kari's two other African friends, who made some (ugh) African dish, and who told us that in Africa you can burn a burglar for stealing from you, since the police are corrupt, and the family of the burglar will most likely participate in the burning because they don't want a burglar in their family. Oh, yeah, and they hit their wives often as a sign of love and affection. I'm moving there next.

Well, that was basically all I had, and pictures from the hike will come shortly. Have a splendid day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home