Monday, February 20, 2006

Driving Myself Insane

This weekend was a different one. Instead of the tedious same-ol' slacking I get around to usually, I basically decided in the matter of minutes I was going to go on a road trip. Road trips are fun, I love 'em, so I had no problem figuring out if I was going to tag along with my friend Markus to someplace in Iowa or not. Off we went, and you know what? I was driving the whole way.

Christian's driving. I know, it's scary, it might even be nightmare-inspiring, but I have surprising news. I'm not reckless at all. Nor am I a bad driver, by any standards, I gotta say, I actually think I might be the born driver. Smoothly turning corners, heeding (most, so far) traffic signs, traffic lights, laws and regulations, heck, I even got traffic ethics down. I'm amazed, and so are the people who see me drive (not too many yet, but hey, I can claim it). The trip to Iowa this weekend was completed after only 2 night and one day session of real driving, which I find incredibly sweet seeing as I'm not wasting any time getting that licence. All in all, counting a pretty large detour on the way back, I actually drove 676 miles this weekend (for those not up to speed on the idiotic US system: about 1090 kilometers). And this fantastic distance (about the distance of Oslo-Trondheim-Oslo) included city driving, highway driving, interstate driving at about 75 miles (120 km) per hour, and multiple complicated car and trailer passings. I won't lie when I say I'm quite happy about this weekend's outcome, which puts me at about 18 hours of driving total, including the one (first) time I totally freaked out my dad driving on what normally were slow, boring roads...

Back in Soo-Foo (that's what all the coool kids call Sioux Falls) I find myself more relaxed than after a typical weekend. I break out in laughter over the smallest things, like today when my psychology prof (a guy with glasses and a long, long beard) exclaimed that "about 2/3 of my students don't want to talk to me", or my chem prof who suddenly started talking about "diabetics who go crazy and start spewing out formaldehyde everywhere". No one is laughing except me, but I honestly couldn't care less. I feel so happy I start laughing at whatever I can, and apparently find funny stuff even in places where the jokes are few and far between. A little crazy, yes, but me-sa no care. Happiness has never been negative.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home