Saturday, January 28, 2006

The Death of Fairy Tales

Time is standing amazingly still nowadays. You see, we're on winter break, and I'm actually trying to have money to buy food and clothes the next four months, thus giving up my dream of wasting money on whatever "break" longer than three days that comes along. Sure, my initial (money-wasting) impulse was to pack my bags and get on a plane to Arizona for the week, but then I soon came to my senses. Well, 'senses' might be an overstatement, because it actually took the message from my bank in Norway telling me I barely had enough money to pay my skyrocketing tuition fees to change my travel-obsessed mind. Thus, while my friends are off skiing in the Black Hills ski resorts, roaming the beaches of Jamaica and partying it up in Kansas, I'm here at three o'clock at night chillaxing with a few episodes of Scrubs and updating you on Blogger. I'm not complaining, if there's something I'm an expert at, doing absolutely nothing and enjoying it would certainly be it.

I don't deal well with alone-time, though. Thinking is probably the biggest danger of such moments, and I've had plenty of time to do it. Here are a few of my realizations:

Hawai'i Pacific University is a fairy tale made up by my previously mentioned travel-obsessed mind. This means that it would probably not be either a good career choice, nor a place I could genuinely live without losing my edge/focus.

I DO need to get away from Sioux Falls and this college, though. But where would I go? I need either a college that would accept the high school credits Augustana has accepted (to finish in three years), or a college that's such a stepping stone for my career that it doesn't matter if I would have to go an extra year.

Does it matter if I spend 7 instead of 6 years becoming a doctor? Does it?

Do I absolutely want to become a doc? Or could acting/directing/screenwriting be something I would enjoy just as much? Or would I not be happy unless I could develop a god complex or help people? And can I actually make it? Fear of failure lingers in the back of my mind, with a fear of making the wrong decision (oh, it's just my life).

Certainly a lot of important questions, and I have no one to discuss it with. But I'm a formidable conversational partner to myself, so I think I'll figure something out. Tips accepted, though (write me a comment).

On a completely different, everyday type of note; I haven't moved yet. I was supposed to, but then plans tangled and schedules broke, and here I still am. But I'll probably get out of my private dungeon this week sometime, so watch out for pics.

Anyways, last week Smallville's episode number 100 aired, and I was along for the edge-of-my-seat ride. As forewarned, someone Clark loved was supposed to die, and in an intricate twist I ended up being wrong about the character in play. Clark showed Lana his abilities in the Fortress of Solitude, and wrapped the whole spectacle up with compacting a piece of coal into a diamond and popping the question. But, as we know by now, people who know the secret have to disappear somehow (Chloe excluded so far), and Lana was no exception. Rattled by Lex' insinuations to learn Clark's secret, she fled his mansion and embarked on a fast paced road chase followed by the Luthor, and after few minutes found herself dead in her own car wreckage. Clark, desperate and heartbroken, appealed to Jor-El (the heartless spirit-like biological father from Krypton) to let him make things right, and subsequently found himself in a "Butterfly Effect"-like reliving of the day. This time he manages to save Lana, but doesn't propose or tell her the famous Secret, leading to their inevitable breakup. The whole thing seems to end quite well, all until the final scenes are unearthed. Jonathan Kent, Clark's adoptive dad and my all-time favorite TV dad, has just been elected senator of Kansas, and finds himself in his barn where Lex' dad Lionel pays him a visit. As bastardly evildoers go, Lionel proceeds to threaten Jonathan with a picture he somehow shouldn't be in possession of. Jonathan tells him off, before landing a perfect punch that has Lionel flying across the room. Exhausted from the energic punch and anger, he staggers out of the barn, while Lionel takes the picture and leaves. Jonathan is standing in the middle of the yard when Clark and Martha come driving up to him, and get out of the car. Something is obviously wrong, Jonathan looks weaker than ever. Clark and his mom run over to him, just in time to catch him as he collapses where he stands. There, in Clark and Martha's arms, Jonathan takes his last, loving look at his family before he passes away.

Sad, sad, and I had a heavy feeling in my whole body when it was over. Of all the people, so totally undeserving. No offense, Lois Lane, but when she was electrocuted in the middle of the show, I actually hoped it would be her that was taken off. Anyways, my disturbingly sincere interest in the show's characters aside, it was a good, well made episode. I'm a big fan of John Schneider, so not having him and his good-hearted character in the show anymore's going to be hard.

I discovered the funniest comedian the other day, actually, and he's one of very few that can make me laugh so much I cry. His name's Dane Cook, you should check him out (funny clips are located at www.comedycentral.com).

What else can I tell ya in this big update? Well, by now you probably know that my birthday's coming up, so in order for me to make it easier on you, I have made a wish list with amazon.com, where the gifts you buy are automatically shipped to me. Easy, huh? Check it out here. I think that's it, folks, for now, and I'll tell ya how my moving is going ASAP. :)


Notice the "balls" on this truck!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home